You are here
In response to Governor Northam’s recent Stay at Home Order due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Human Services Building will close to the public effective Thursday, April 2 until further notice.
- Benefits and services will continue to be provided as needed.
- Residents may continue to apply for benefits online at www.commonhelp.virginia.gov.
- For information regarding SNAP, TANF and Medicaid, call toll free (855) 635-4370.
- To report child abuse and neglect during regular business hours, call 455-5726; after hours, call 800-552-7096.
- To report adult abuse and neglect during regular business hours, call 455-5840; after hours, call 888-832-3858.
- Those who need to speak with someone at the Human Services Department can call the main number, (434) 455-5850.
For updates regarding the Child Care Subsidy Program and other Social Services programs during the coronavirus pandemic, please click this link: https://www.dss.virginia.gov/geninfo/corona.cgi
The Lynchburg Department of Social Services, under the leadership of Director Tamara Rosser, is combined with the Lynchburg Department of Juvenile Services to form the Department of Human Services. It is one of 120 local departments in Virginia's state-supervised, locally-administered public social services system. The Department is an agency of city government which administers federal, state and local public assistance and social work service programs. To learn more about the Virginia Department of Social Services, go to http://www.dss.virginia.gov.
Location - 99 Ninth Street, Lynchburg, VA 24504
Hours - Closed to the public until further notice
A limited number of parking spaces are available in the agency lot immediately adjacent to the visitor entrance. We ask that all visitors be mindful and considerate of all parking signage, as well as courteous to others.