PREA (Prison Rape Elimination Act)
The Prison Rape Elimination Act of 2003 (Public Law No. 108-79) (PREA) was signed into law 2003 to “prove for the analysis of the incidents and effects of prison rape in Federal, State and Local institutions and to provide information, resources, recommendations, and funding to protect individuals from prison rape.” Meeting the objectives of PREA is a priority of the Lynchburg Youth Group Home (LYGH). This facility has a zero tolerance towards any incident involving the sexual assault, sexual harassment, or rape of a resident. The purpose of this policy, which is outlined below, is to ensure that residents are protected from sexual assault and sexual harassment and to outline the agency’s approach to preventing, detecting, and responding to such conduct. In addition, each resident of the LYGH receives PREA training. Click on the link to view the training document. PREA-Detainee/Resident Training Handout
ALL ALLEGATIONS OF SEXUAL ASSAULT, HARASSMENT, OR RAPE WILL BE REPORTED TO THE LOCAL CHILD PROTECTION SERVICES AND POLICE DEPARTMENT FOR INVESTIGATION AND PROSECUTION.
Zero Tolerance policy
- LYGH prohibits and will not tolerate any fraternization or sexual misconduct between staff, contractors, volunteers and residents. The organization actively works to prevent, detect, report and respond to any violation.
- Any behavior of sexual nature between employees and residents is prohibited. Employees will be subject to disciplinary action under the facilities policies and procedures and will be subject to prosecution under the Code of Virginia. All staff, contractors and volunteers shall report any suspicion of fraternization or sexual misconduct between staff, contractor, volunteers and residents. Staff are not only required to report, but also may be subject to disciplinary actions if they do not.
- Any behavior of a sexual nature by a resident is prohibited and subject to disciplinary in accordance with the facility’s policy manual. Sexual behavior also may result in criminal charges.
- Consensual sexual activity among residents will not be permitted. If residents engage in this type of activity, one or both residents will be subject to disciplinary action in accordance with the facility’s policy manual.
WHAT TO DO IF YOU’VE BEEN ASSAULTED OR IF SEXUAL MISCONDUCT HAS OCCURRED AT THE LYGH.
Residents can participate in an investigation in many ways, including being the alleged victim, suspect, reporter, or witness. Reporting can be done several ways by the resident or his/her family member, or someone else.
- Report it to any staff member or
- Report by using the 24 hours PREA line located in the facility, or by calling the administrative offices at 434-455-4076 or 434-455-7889 or
- Complete a grievance form (located throughout the facility) or online
- Write a letter of complaint to: 1404 Florida Ave Attn: PREA Coordinator, Lynchburg, Va. 24501
Questions? Please call J. T. Smith III at 434-455-4076 or firstname.lastname@example.org
There was one (1) reported incident of sexual assault reported from the LYGH during (January 1, 2016-Present). Upon completion of the investigation this incident was unfounded