A great place to live, work and play.

    You are here

    FAQs - CSO

    FAQs are provided here in two categories:


    Q What is the nature of CSO construction?
    A Generally the replacement or renewal of City or privately owned infrastructure … sewerlines, water lines, gas lines, roads, sidewalks, curb and gutter.
    Q When will construction begin in my area?
    A Projects must follow a master plan and are implemented as funding becomes available. The City holds several public meetings to inform residents in affected areas prior to the commencement of actual construction.
    Q What is the project completion date?
    A Most projects will take between 15 and 24 months. Due to the size of most projects, the contractor is required to complete projects one section at a time, completing one area of work prior to beginning construction in another area.
    Q Will my street receive curb and gutter?
    A Curb and gutter is proposed to be installed in areas where there are pre-existing roadway drainage problems, and then only if funding is available.
    Q Will my street be repaved?
    A Any streets disturbed during construction are repaved.
    Q Will I be able to get in and out of my street?
    A The contractor is required to maintain access to all homes. Some delays may occur. Emergency situations receive immediate priority.
    Q Will trees be removed?
    A Projects involve the use of large machinery. The contractor is required to limit the clearing of trees within the work area. Existing sewer lines were installed years ago. In many cases, vegetation has grown over these areas and may have to be removed for new construction.
    Q Will the contractor plant grass seed?
    A The contractor is required to leave disturbed areas in as good or better condition than before construction. But unless previously approved, no trees are replanted.
    Q Will I be able to use the plumbing in my home during construction?
    A Most of the time you will be able to use water normally in your home. However, some construction will involve the disconnection of your existing water and sewer connections. Whenever possible, you will be informed in advance as to when to expect these temporary outages. 
    Q What is this (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, white) paint on my (grass, sidewalk, drive) and can it be removed?
    These are merely marks indicating the location of existing utilities, as required of contractors by state law. The marks aid in the design of each project, and do not necessarily mean some type of construction will take place in those particular spots. Any remaining paint is generally cleaned off at the close of a project.
    Q What is an easement? 
    A An easement is an agreement between multiple parties that allows for permanent use of the property, as shown or described, that allows one party to install a utility or gain access.
    Q What happens to the trees cut along the sewer line?
    A Heavy debris is removed and the trees are cut and stacked along the work area, remaining the property of the homeowner.  If you do not want the trees from your property, the Contractor will dispose of them for you.
    Q What will work along an easement look like during and after construction?
    A Equipment size will vary depending on size and depth of the pipe being installed.  The amount of clearing and excavation work will also depend on depth and size of pipe, but also subsurface conditions.  CLICK HERE for some examples of typical "during" and "after" easement photos.
    Q What is a pipe liner?
    A Some underground pipes are not severely broken but may suffer leakage from bad joints or cracks. A liner is a plastic sleeve, which is pulled into the pipe to seal it from any further leakage. This method doesn’t require the actual digging up of the line to install. It is however, more expensive. 
    Q At the present I only have on-street parking. Where do I park during construction?
    A The contractor will work with car owners in planning work activities and alternate parking during the day. The contractor will be working in a limited area on your street at any given time. 
    Q Will the new water lines increase the water pressure?
    A Generally no. You will, if your private lines are in good condition, see an increase in flow volume. New water lines mean better fire protection for your area.
    Q How will the work area be left everyday?
    A The contractor will close and temporarily fill all trenches or place barricades around open excavations. Equipment will be stored alongside the road if space permits or taken back to the lay-down area overnight. Construction sites are very dangerous! Please take extra precautions with small children or elderly residents. Do not allow any play around the sites.
    Q I feel my house vibrating when the contractor uses explosives, a vibrating compactor, or a mechanical/hydraulic jack hammer. Will this cause damage to my house?
    A Normally no. However, if blasting is performed within 250 feet of a structure, a pre-blast survey is performed at no cost to the owner. The survey will document any cracks or existing damage. We encourage the homeowner to be a part of the process to protect their interest as well as the contractor’s. If you are feeling excessive vibrations, call the CSO Information Center at 847-7246 or contact the project superintendent. The City takes blasting very seriously and has developed strict policies for its use. All blasting is permitted by the Fire Marshall’s office. Blasts are scheduled at the same time everyday, with warning signals that can be heard within the immediate blast area. 
    Q What is the City’s policy regarding damage to my property, vehicles, and health?
    A The contractor is required to have maximum amounts of insurance on file for each project. If a situation arises where some form of property damage occurs, a claim should be filed with the contractor and a copy filed with the City. This will ensure that the complaint is resolved in a professional manner.

    Rainleader Disconnections
    Q Can I volunteer to disconnect my rainleaders any time?
    A Yes. Call the CSO Information Center at 485-7246 for more information.
    Q Can I do the disconnect work myself?
    A Yes, as long as you call the CSO Information Center at 485-7246 prior to starting any work.
    Q Do I have to have the work done by a contractor?
    A No. Many do-it-yourselfers have made this program a success. 
    Q When do I get my payment for disconnecting?
    A Payments are processed within two weeks of a final OK on your disconnects.
    Q What happens if I choose not to disconnect my rainleaders?
    A Currently the program is voluntary. A sewer-use charge may be added to connected rainleaders if necessary to achieve the desired program results.
    Q How will I get paid?
    A A check will be mailed directly to you from the City.
    Q How far away from my home should I discharge the stormwater?
    A City Code requires that you discharge at least 10 feet away from your property lines.
    Q Where can I obtain advice/guidance as I attempt to disconnect my rainleaders?
    A  Call the CSO Information Center at 485-7246 for assistance. If needed, someone can visit your property and advise you.
    Q How will I recognize an official inspector?
    A All staff will be wearing an ID badge. If you have any concerns, call the CSO Information Center at 485-7246.
    Q  Do I report this as income on my 1040s?
    A  The City is required to have you complete a simple tax form (1099) in order to process your payment. Individuals can incorporate this information into their personal tax situation as they deem necessary.