A great place to live, work and play.

    You are here

    Civil Cases

    Case Status and Information

    Civil case files are open to the public with the exception of Adoption files, certain Juvenile files and files sealed by order of the Court. The public case status search allows searches of files by case number or name.

    Concealed Handgun Permits

    Concealed handgun permits are issued by the Circuit Court in the jurisdiction where you live. College students living on dorms who are not permanent Lynchburg residents may visit the Virginia State Police website to apply for a non-resident permit. If you are a Lynchburg City resident you can come to Lynchburg Circuit Court to apply for a concealed handgun permit.  First time applicants must come in person to apply and should bring a photo ID along with documentation to show completion of an approved gun safety course, hunter safety card or military ID as required by VA Code 18.2-308.02. The permit is valid for a period of 5 years. Below are the associated fees related to concealed handgun permits. 

    Due to the current COVID-19 health concerns, concealed handgun permit applications may be submitted by mail or drop-box (located in the front of our office) until further notice.  New concealed handgun permit applications MUST include: 1) photocopy of the front and back of your VA Driver's License, 2) completed application and 3) copy of your proof of completion of approved gun-safety course.  If you are submitting a renewal application by mail, please include a photocopy of your current or old concealed handgun permit. 

    Filing Fees

    If you have questions about filing fees, please call us at (434) 455-2620. We require a civil coversheet indicating the type of case you are filing and the amount of damages requested.

    Legislative Changes Effective July 1, 2020

    • HB306/SB938 - Increase in Library of Virginia Fee
    Increases the Library of Virginia Fee collected for Recording and Indexing from $1.50 to $3.50.
    • HB1726/SB1038 - Open Space Preservation Fee
    Increases the Fee from $1 to $3.
    Fee imposed on Deed, Deed of Trust, Contract or Other Instrument admitted to record pursuant to Code of Virginia 58.1-817 and admitted to record in jurisdictions in which open-space easements are held by the Virginia Outdoors Foundation. 

    Habitual Offender/Restoration of Driving Privileges

    If you need to petition the Circuit Court to restore your driving privileges, bring a transcript and compliance summary from the DMV that is current within 30 days. Contact the Clerk’s Office for further information.

    Name Changes

    Name changes are filed with the Circuit Court in the jurisdiction where you live. The filing fee is $41 with cash or check and an additional $2 with debit or credit card. You must bring a photo ID with you to file a name change, or have the signatures notarized.

    If your name change is filed pursuant to a divorce, the fee to record the name change on the deed book is $26 as of July 1, 2020. Contact the Clerk’s Office for further information. 


    We are prohibited by law from giving legal advice.  The filing fee for a divorce is $86. Service fees are $12 per person and per document served. Below are some helpful resources if you are filing your own divorce:


    Expungements are filed with the Circuit Court where you were convicted. The petition should include your personal information, the charge or charges to be expunged and all other information pertaining to those charges. Be sure to include each charge to be expunged, case numbers for each charge and coinciding dates along with certified copies of warrants/indictments showing the final disposition of the case must be attached to the petition. A granted expungement removes your charge from the Court’s records. This may not remove your charge from local law enforcement agencies or some third party background investigation sites.

    The filing fee is $98. This fee may be paid by check, cash or money order.  Checks or money orders should be payable to Lynchburg Circuit Court. Please note that this process may take 3 to 6 months.

    Restoration of Civil Rights

    In Virginia, any person convicted of a felony is stripped of certain civil rights forever. New Virginia residents who have not restored their civil rights in the state of their conviction(s) also are stripped of their civil rights that include a right to vote, run for and hold public office, serve on juries or serve as a notary public. After the Governor has restored your civil rights, you may petition the Circuit Court where you live for restoration of your firearm privileges. If you live out of state, you may petition the Circuit Court where you were convicted. For information about restoring your civil rights you may contact the Secretary of the Commonwealth at (804) 786-2441 or Secretary of the Commonwealth Restoration of Rights.

    Electronic Filing (VJEFS) 

    Lynchburg Circuit Court is now accepting electronically filed cases from attorneys through the VJEFS system. At this time, any additional fees are waived due to the COVID-19 health crisis.  


    Electronic Voucher Payment System (EVPS)

    The Electronic Voucher Payment System is used by attorneys for online submission of the DC-40 (List of Allowances) by court-appointed counsel.

    Additional Information

    Contact Us

     (434) 455-2620
     (434) 847-1864

    Important Notice The Office of the Clerk of Circuit Court is committed to public service. We are dedicated to providing our patrons with excellent customer service and will assist you with any questions or concerns about our policies and procedures.
    However, we are prohibited by law from giving legal advice, restating the law or recommending legal action. It is not the intention of our office, nor of this web site, to offer legal solutions. Questions regarding interpretation of the law should be directed to an attorney licensed in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
    The purpose of this information is to better inform the general public of procedural matters. Nothing contained herein is intended to advise anyone as to legal remedies for a particular circumstance. Circuit Court Clerks and their Deputy Clerks cannot render legal advice.