City-Wide Youth Curfew
Lynchburg City Council has implemented a city-wide curfew for all persons under the age of 18 beginning Friday, May 26. The curfew will remain in effect every night from 11:00 p.m. to 5:00 a.m. from Friday, May 26 to Friday, December 1, 2023.
According to the adopted ordinance, it shall be unlawful for a minor, during curfew hours, to remain in a public place, in a motor vehicle, or in an establishment unless the minor is:
- accompanied by a parent;
- involved in an emergency;
- engaged in an employment activity such as going to or returning from work;
- on the sidewalk directly abutting their residence with a parent inside;
- on an errand at the direction of a parent with permission in writing;
- involved in interstate travel through, beginning or terminating in the City;
- exercising First Amendment rights, such as the free exercise of religion, freedom of speech and the right of assembly.
Please read the FULL ORDINANCE for more information regarding violation and enforcement.
Press Release (PDF)
Full Ordinance (PDF)