Car Safety Seats
The department has National Standardized Child Passenger Safety Technicians, certified by the National Highway Transportation Administration (NHTSA) who are available to assist you. Some of the ways we can assist you are:
- Examine your seat to ensure it meets all U. S. Department of Transportation requirements
- Guide you in finding the appropriate type of restraint for your child
- Educate you in the proper use of your restraint system in your vehicle
As of July 1, 2019, the Code of Virginia states that all children under the age of eight years old are required to be in an appropriate child restraint system. All children seated rear-facing shall be placed in the back seat of the vehicle or the front air bag system shall be turned off. All children under the age of two should be in a rear-facing child restraint.
If you would like assistance, please call 434-455-6340 (Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.) to be connected with a CPS Technician at one of our fire stations.
We do not have the resources to offer child seats to those in need of one. Please contact the local Health Department or Social Services for any programs they may offer.
Below are several links to visit for more information:
- American Academy of Pediatrics - https://www.aap.org/en/news-room/
- NHTSA Recalls - https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls
- SafeKids Worldwide Ultimate Car Seat Guide - https://ucsg.safekids.org/
- Child Restraint Law in VA - https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title46.2/chapter10/section46.2-1095/