Obtain a Building Permit
Please see our online permit applications and inspection information to obtain a permit at this time.
Your first step in obtaining a building permit will depend on the type of construction proposed.
Permits for Additions, Alterations, Accessories, or Repairs to Existing Dwellings
The process begins when you visit the Inspections Division on the second floor of 900 Church Street, starting in the Customer Service Center
434-455-3910. You will be asked to identify the location of the property, and the owner of the property, and fill out a permit application that details the work to be done. A plot plan showing the lot size and the location of all existing structures should be submitted to the Zoning Division for approval. In addition, the contractor must present appropriate city and state licenses. A homeowner desiring to repair or add to his/her own home can do so after providing all appropriate information concerning the proposed work and after receiving the approval of plans.
Permits for Construction of One & Two Family Dwellings
The contractor or property owner should bring one set of drawings to the Inspections Division at 900 Church Street and fill out a permit application. Information needed for completing the application includes the cost, specific work being done, owner's name, address location, state license number, and current planning/zoning requirements.
Permits for Construction of Multi-Family and Commercial Structures
- One set of construction drawings and plot plans for the proposed structures(s) should be submitted to the Inspections Division. A digital copy of the construction drawings is also required. You may submit the digital copy on a CD. If the structure is intended as a place of assembly, institutional, educational, or hazardous use, the drawing must be prepared by a state-licensed architect/engineer and bear their seals and signatures. The plans should show pertinent architectural, structural, plumbing, mechanical, fire protection, elevator, and foundation details in accordance with the Ordinance and VA USBC adopted by the City.
- Your plans will be reviewed according to the standard plan submission procedure.
- Building permits cannot be issued by the Inspections Division until all City requirements are met and signed off by the Technical Review Committee. The department must receive clearance from Planning and Zoning before a permit is issued.
- If your plans meet the requirements of the Engineering Division, Zoning Ordinance, and Building Codes, you will then be required to pay a permit fee based on the total cost of construction and materials. (Make checks payable to "City of Lynchburg"). A building permit will then be issued.
- City building inspectors will make both routine and check inspections during the construction of the building. When the completed structure meets the required ordinances and codes, the structure will be accepted. Work must not proceed until the required inspections have been made and approved.
- Permit Fees (PDF)
- Applicable Codes for the City of Lynchburg (PDF)
- 2018 Code Update Sheet (PDF)
- Building and Fire Code Appeal Form (PDF)
- Permit Application
- Building Plans Submittal Procedure
- Contractor (not based in Lynchburg) Zoning Approval
- Owner Affidavit
Contact the Inspections Division at 434-455-3910 for more information.
900 Church Street
1st Floor Permitting Center
Lynchburg, VA 24504
900 Church Street 1st Floor Permitting Center Lynchburg VA 24504
Phone: 434-455-3910Fax: 434-845-7630
Denise DoniganCode AdministratorPhone: 434-455-3897
Sharon YoungerPermit TechnicianPhone: 434-455-3898