Sec. 37-109. Rates.
The rates to be charged passengers by owners or drivers of taxicabs shall be as provided in this section and it shall be unlawful for an owner to permit or a driver to make any greater or lesser charges for the transportation of passengers and luggage than the following charges:
(a) Trip rates.
(1) Mileage basis.
For the first one-ninth mile, or fraction thereof--$1.80
For each succeeding one-ninth mile, or fraction thereof--$0.25
(2) Waiting time. For each minute of waiting time, or fraction thereof,
after the first three (3) minutes--$0.50 or $30.00 per hour waiting time
(b) Hourly rates. When hired on an hourly basis for one (1) or more passengers, per hour--$30.00
(c) Trunks or footlockers. For transporting trunks orfootlockers along with passengers, each piece--$1.00
(d) Hand luggage.
(1) For each hand baggage in excess of two (2) bags per passenger, each additional bag--$0.10
(2) For packages without a passenger, each--$1.00
(e) Bags weighing one hundred (100) pounds, or over.
For each piece of baggage weighing one hundred (100) pounds, or over--$1.00
(f) For transporting pets, other than seeing-eye dogs, an additional charge for each pet--$1.50
(g) Two (2) or more passengers. An extra charge of twenty cents ($0.20) per passenger shall be made for each additional passenger traveling together and discharged along the route or at the same destination.
(1) Should the first person taken into a taxicab for transportation permit the driver to allow another or others traveling in the same direction to be transported in the same taxicab with him, pursuant to Section 37-24, the passenger first arriving at his destination shall pay in accordance with the meter charge at that point, plus an extra charge of twenty cents ($0.20) for each additional passenger transported and discharged at that destination, whereupon the driver of the taxicab shall immediately clear his meter and set the same for immediate operation for the next passenger, who shall pay the meter charge upon arrival at his destination, plus an extra charge of twenty cents ($0.20) for each additional passenger transported and discharged at that destination. The same method shall be followed for each succeeding passenger.
(2) When two (2) or more passengers are bona fide traveling together and engage a taxicab to different destinations, the charge shall be made as if the taxicab were hired for one (1) passenger for the last destination, plus an extra charge of twenty cents ($0.20) for each additional passenger transported.
(h) Passengers to points beyond city limits. For transportation of passengers from the city to points beyond the city limits, the rates set out in this section shall be applicable only to so much of such trip as is within the city limits.
(i) In order to ensure payment of fares, drivers may request a security deposit of no more than five dollars ($5.00) prior to accepting a passenger. The difference between such deposit and the actual fare shall be refunded to the passenger.
(j) Fuel cost surcharge. Effective July 1, 2008, a surcharge of one dollar ($1.00) shall be added to the current meter charge for each trip. (Ord. of 7-22-75, § 31-72; Ord. of 6-26-79; Ord. No. O-82-213, § 1, 10-12-82; Ord. No. O-90-284, 9-11-90; Ord. No. O-99-091, 5-11-99, eff. 6-1-99; Ord. No. O-05-103, 8-9-05; Ord. No. O-08-088, 6-10-08, eff. 7-1-08)
Last updated date: 6/13/2008 1:41:37 PM