Sec. 35.1-72. Shooting Ranges.
*Additional amendments possible to Ordinance #10-103, 9/14/10
(a) Outdoor shooting ranges may be permitted in conservation districts by conditional use permit if they meet the following conditions:
(1) Outdoor rifle, pistol, and skeet shooting ranges—Conditional use permits for outdoor shooting ranges may be granted for a term not to exceed two (2) years, subject to renewal, only after having been granted preliminary approval by the building official of the City of Lynchburg.
(b) Indoor shooting ranges may be permitted in conservation, community business, central business, general business, riverfront business, restricted industrial and light industrial districts by conditional use permit, provided the following conditions are met:
(1) Indoor rifle, pistol, and archery ranges - Indoor shooting ranges may be permitted only by conditional use permit.
(2) Building plans certified by a design professional are required. Plans shall include backstops, ventilation, bullet traps, bullet resistant material between each firing lane, lead abatement and noise buffering to meet or exceed all applicable State and Federal laws and regulations.
(3) The operator shall cause a qualified design professional to perform annual inspections to verify continued compliance with all applicable design standards and safety procedures, a report of which shall be filed with the building official.
(4) The range operator shall maintain a valid certificate of public liability insurance for not less than $2 million with the City of Lynchburg Risk Management office. (Ord. No. O-10-103, 9-14-10)
Last updated date: 9/22/2010 8:03:13 AM