Sec. 35.1-11.1 Definitions.
(a) Terms that are not specifically defined in this section or elsewhere in the zoning ordinance will have the meaning as defined in Webster's Third New International Dictionary of the English Language Unabridged, Phillip Babcock Grove, Ph. D., Editor in Chief, G & C Merrian Company, Springfield, Mass. 1966.
(b) Terms not herein defined shall be construed as defined in the Uniform Statewide Building Code, as adopted by the City of Lynchburg.
(c) The following rules of construction apply to the text of the zoning ordinance:
(1) The particular shall control the general.
(2) The word "shall" is always mandatory and not discretionary. The word "may" is permissive.
(3) Words used in the present tense shall include the future. Words used in the singular number shall include the plural, and the plural the singular, unless the context clearly indicates otherwise.
(4) A "building" or "structure" includes any part thereof.
(5) The word "person" includes an individual, corporation, a partnership, an incorporated association or any other similar entity.
(6) Unless the context clearly indicates otherwise, where a regulation involves two (2) or more items, conditions, provisions or events connected by conjunctions, such conjunctions shall be interpreted as follows:
a. "And" indicates that all the connected words or phrases shall apply.
b. "Or" indicates that the connected words or phrases may apply singly or in any combination.
c. "Either...or" indicates that the connected words or phrases shall apply singly but not in combination.
(7) The words "includes" or "including" shall not limit a term to the specified examples but are intended to extend its meaning to all other instances or circumstances of like, kind or character.
(8) The word "state" means the Commonwealth of Virginia, and the word "city" means the City of Lynchburg, Virginia. (Ord. No. O-90-047, 2-13-90)
Last updated date: 10/23/2006 4:15:21 PM