Sec. 27-67.1. Same—Exception.
(a) The provisions of section 27-67 shall not apply to shotguns discharging pellets using number 5, 6, 7, 8 or 9 shot under the following conditions:
(1) On land that is twenty-five (25) acres or more of contiguous area, and
(2) Used primarily for agricultural purposes, and
(3) The landowner has applied for an annual permit from the chief of police to use his property for this purpose.
The permit shall be granted by the chief of police or his designee if the application meets the requirements of this section, and
(4) The landowner has agreed to allow the city’s wildlife management specialists on his property to cull deer under the conditions set forth in a memorandum of understanding between the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries and the city. A copy of the memorandum of understanding between the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries and the city shall be kept in the police department and shall be available for review upon request. It shall be the responsibility of any landowner applying for a permit to review the memorandum of understanding and become familiar with its requirements.
(5) Any person or persons discharging a shotgun as set forth above shall, at all times, while engaged in such activity, have in his possession written permission from the landowner to discharge such weapon on the premises.
(6) All hunting must be done in compliance with the laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia and the rules and regulations of the Board of Game and Inland Fisheries.
(7) 00 to #4 shot may be used in shotguns for the sole purpose of hunting deer.
(8) No person or persons shall hunt deer in the city by the use of a dog or dogs.
(b) No person shall discharge a shotgun within one hundred (100) yards of any building, dwelling, street, sidewalk, alley, roadway or public land or public place within the city limits.
(c) Any person engaging in hunting must comply with any conditions or restrictions imposed by the Chief of Police as a part of the permit. (Code 1959, § 33-1; Ord. of 9-7-76; Ord. No. O-92-048, 2-11-92; Ord. No. O-92-372, 12-8-92; Ord. No. O-02-126, 7-9-02; Ord. No. O-02-157, 8-13-02; Ord. No. O-10-107, 9-14-10)
Last updated date: 9/17/2010 9:23:28 AM