Sec. 25-82. Offenses relating to registration, licensing, and certificates of title; penalty.
No person shall:
(1) Operate or permit the operation of a motor vehicle, trailer, or semitrailer owned, leased, or otherwise controlled by him to be operated on a public street unless (i) it is registered, (ii) a certificate of title therefor has been issued, and (iii) it has displayed on it the license plate or plates and decal or decals, if any, assigned to it by the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles for the current registration period, subject to the exemptions mentioned in Title 46.2 of the Code of Virginia.
(2) Display, cause or permit to be displayed, or have in possession any registration card, certificate of title, or license plate or decal which he knows is fictitious or which he knows has been canceled, revoked, suspended, or altered; or display or cause or permit to be displayed on any motor vehicle, trailer, or semitrailer any license plate or decal that he knows is currently issued for another vehicle.
(3) Lend or knowingly permit the use of any registration card, license plate, or decal by anyone not entitled to it.
(4) Fail or refuse to surrender to a law enforcement office, on demand, any certificate of title, registration card, or license plate or decal which has been suspended, canceled, or revoked.
(5) Use a false name or address in any application for the registration of any motor vehicle, trailer, or semitrailer or for a certificate of title or for any renewal or duplicate certificate, or knowingly to make a false statement of a material fact or to conceal a material fact or otherwise commit a fraud in any registration application. (Code 1959, § 20-47; Ord. No. O-00-137, 6-27-00)
Last updated date: 10/23/2006 4:15:21 PM