Sec. 16.2-8. Definitions.
Unless specifically defined below, words or phrases used in this chapter shall be interpreted so as to give them the meaning they have in common usage and to give this chapter its most reasonable application.
(1) "Adequate channel" means a channel that will convey the designated storm event without overtopping the channel banks nor causing erosive damage to the channel bed or banks.
(2) "Applicant" means any person submitting a stormwater management plan for approval.
(3) "Best management practice (BMP)" means a structural or nonstructural practice, which is designed to reduce the impacts of development on surface and groundwater systems.
(4) "Board" means the Virginia Soil and Water Conservation Board, created under Sec. 10.1-502, Code of Virginia.
(5) "Channel" means a natural or manmade waterway.
(6) Critical hydraulic location" means a location with an extreme in one or more physical parameters such that if a design condition is met at that location then that same design condition will also be met at other nearby locations. For example, some critical hydraulic locations could be steepest slope, flattest slope, narrowest constriction, greatest flow rate, highest velocity, etc. Critical hydraulic locations can extend downstream until the total drainage area is greater than one hundred (100) times the project drainage area.
(7) "Development" means a tract of land developed or to be developed as a unit under single ownership or unified control, which is to be used for any business or industrial purpose or is to contain five (5) or more residential dwelling units.
(8) "Disturbed area" means all ground surface area which will be physically impacted by construction activities, including material storage areas and adequate vehicular access routes to all construction activities. No construction activity including material storage and vehicle access will be permitted outside the area designated as ‘disturbed area’ on the approved plan. If use of such area is desired, a plan revision must be submitted for review and approval prior to such use.
(9) "Flooding" means a volume of water that is too great to be confined within the banks or walls of the stream, water body or conveyance system and that overflows onto adjacent lands, causing or threatening damage.
(10) "Floodplain" means those areas adjoining a river, stream, channel, or lake, which will be inundated by flooding.
(11) "Illicit discharge" means a discharge coming from any land use that is not composed entirely of stormwater and entering the stormwater management system, except discharges pursuant to a Virginia Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (VPDES) permit. This definition shall not include the discharges listed in Sec. 16.2-71(b) unless the city identifies such discharges as sources of pollutants to state waters.
(12) "Impervious cover" means a surface composed of any material that significantly impedes or prevents natural infiltration of water into soil. Impervious surfaces include, but are not limited to, roofs, buildings, streets, parking areas, and any concrete, asphalt, or compacted gravel surface.
(13) "Infiltration facility" means a stormwater management facility, which temporarily impounds runoff and discharges it via infiltration through the surrounding soil. While an infiltration facility may also be equipped with an outlet structure to discharge impounded runoff, such discharge is normally reserved for overflow and other emergency conditions. Since an infiltration facility impounds runoff only temporarily, it is normally dry during non-rainfall periods. Infiltration basin, infiltration trench, infiltration dry well, and porous pavement shall be considered infiltration facilities.
(14) "Inspection" means an on-site review of the project's compliance with the approved plan, the local stormwater management program, and any applicable design criteria.
(15) "Land development" or "land development project" means a manmade change to or construction on, the land surface that changes its runoff characteristics.
(16) "Linear development project" means a land development project that is linear in nature such as, but not limited to the construction of (i) electric, telephone, water, sewer, storm sewer, natural gas or other utility transmission lines; (ii) tracks, rights-of-way, bridges, communication facilities or other related structures of a railroad company; or (iii) streets, roads, or highways.
(17) "Local stormwater management program" or "local program" means a statement of the various methods adopted by this chapter and implemented by the City of Lynchburg to manage the runoff from land development projects with provisions to require the control of post-development stormwater runoff rate of flow and may include such items as local ordinances, policies and guidelines, technical materials, inspections, enforcement and evaluation.
(18) "New impervious area" means any man-made change which creates an impervious surface from a previously pervious surface or from a previously impervious surface during which bare earth or permeable base is exposed. This does not include repaving of a parking lot, but does include a parking lot expansion, or removal of a parking lot and its replacement with some other impervious cover.
(19) "Onsite stormwater management facilities" means facilities, which are designed to control stormwater runoff emanating from a specific site, at the specific site.
(20) "Percent impervious" means the impervious area within the site divided by the total area of the site multiplied by one hundred (100).
(21) "Person" means any individual, partnership, firm, association, joint venture, public or private corporation, trust, estate, commission, board, public or private institution, utility, cooperative, city, town or other political subdivision of the Commonwealth, any interstate body or any other legal entity.
(22) "Planning area" means a designated portion of the parcel on which the land development project is located. Planning areas shall be established by delineation on a master plan. Once established, planning areas shall be applied consistently for all future projects.
(23) "Plan approving authority" refers to the administrative person or body responsible for the review and approval of land development and stormwater management in the jurisdiction in which the project is located.
(24) "Pollution prevention plan" means a stand alone management document that provides information on the facility operations that directly or indirectly produce waste or use toxic substances. This written plan will record the toxic substance use, emissions, and waste from current work practices, outline potential pollution prevention opportunities and provide specific performance goals including a schedule for implementing these pollution prevention activities.
(25) "Post-development" refers to conditions that reasonably may be expected or anticipated to exist after completion of the land development activity on a specific site or tract of land.
(26) "Pre-development" refers to the land use conditions that exist at the time that plans for the land development are submitted for approval. Where phased development or plan approval occurs (preliminary grading, roads and utilities, etc.); the existing land use conditions at the time the first item/phase is submitted shall establish pre-development conditions.
(27) "Program administrator" means the person or persons responsible for administering and enforcing this stormwater management.
(28) "Regional stormwater management facility" or "regional facility" means a facility or series of facilities designed to control stormwater runoff from a specific contributing watershed area, although only portions of the watershed may experience land development.
(29) "Regional stormwater management plan" or "regional plan" means a document containing material describing how runoff from open space, existing development and future planned development areas within a watershed will be controlled by coordinated design and implementation of regional stormwater management facilities.
(30) "Runoff" means stormwater runoff.
(31) "Sanitary sewer system" means the pipelines, conduits, pumping stations, force mains, and other structures, devices, appurtenances, and facilities for collecting and conveying domestic, commercial and industrial sanitary wastewater.
(32) "Site" means the parcel of land being developed, or a planning area in which the land development project is located.
(33) "State waters" means all waters, on the surface or under the ground, wholly or partially within or bordering the Commonwealth or within its jurisdiction.
(34) "Storm sewer system" means stormwater management system.
(35) "Stormwater" or "stormwater runoff" means that portion of precipitation that flows across the land surface or through conveyances due to gravity as a direct result of a rainfall event or series of events.
(36) "Stormwater management" is the design and use of structural or nonstructural practices to achieve the responsible discharge of stormwater runoff as defined by the requirements of this ordinance.
(37) "Stormwater management facility" or "stormwater facility" means a device that controls or conveys stormwater runoff or changes the characteristics of that runoff including, but not limited to, the quantity, quality, period of release or velocity of flow.
(38) "Stormwater management plan" or "plan" means a document describing how a land development project shall comply with the requirements of this chapter.
(39) "Stormwater management system" means one of or a series of structural and non-structural stormwater management facilities and best management practices.
(40) "Subdivision" means the division of a parcel of land into five (5) or more lots or parcels of less than five (5) acres each for the purpose of transfer of ownership or building development, or, if a new street is involved in such division, any division of a parcel of land. The term includes resubdivision and, when appropriate to the context, shall relate to the process of subdividing or to the land subdivided.
(41) "Watershed" means the total drainage area contributing runoff to a single point. (Ord. No. O-01-079, 4-24-01, eff. 5-1-01; Ord. No. O-07-047, 4-10-07)
Last updated date: 4/27/2007 2:00:03 PM