You are here
Obtain a Building Permit
Your first step in obtaining a building permit will depend on the type of construction proposed.
Permits for additions, alterations, accessories or repairs to existing dwellings:
The process begins when you visit the Inspections Division on the second floor of 900 Church Street,
(434-455-3910). You will be asked to identify the location of the property, owner of the property and fill out a permit application, which details the work to be done. A plot plan showing the lot size and the location of all existing structures should be submitted to the Zoning Division for approval. In addition, the contractor must present appropriate city and state licenses. A homeowner desiring to repair or add to his/her own home can do so after providing all appropriate information concerning the proposed work and after receiving the approval of plans.
Permits for construction of one and two family dwellings:
The contractor or property owner should bring one (1) set of drawings to the Inspections Division at 900 Church Street and fill out a permit application. Information needed for completing the application includes the cost, specific work being done, owner's name, address location, state license number and current planning/zoning requirements.
Permits for construction of multi-family and commercial structures:
1. One (1) set of construction drawings and plot plan for the proposed structures(s) should be submitted to the Inspections Division. A digital copy of the construction drawings is also required. You may submit the digital copy on a CD. If the structure is intended as a place of assembly, institutional, educational or hazardous use, the drawing must be prepared by a state licensed architect/engineer and bear their seals and signatures. The plans should show pertinent architectural, structural, plumbing, mechanical, fire protection, elevator and foundation details in accordance with the Ordinance and VA USBC adopted by the City.
2. Your plans will be reviewed according to the standard plan submission procedure.
3. Building permits cannot be issued by the Inspections Divisions until all City requirements are met and signed off by the Technical Review Committee. The department must receive clearance from Planning and Zoning before a permit is issued.
4. If your plans meet the requirements of the Engineering Division, Zoning Ordinance and Building Codes, you will then be required to pay a permit fee based on the total cost of construction and materials. (MAKE CHECKS PAYABLE TO "CITY OF LYNCHBURG"). A building permit will then be issued.
5. City building inspectors will make both routine and check inspections during construction of the building. When the completed structure meets the required ordinances and codes, the structure will be accepted. Work must not proceed until the required inspections have been made and approved.
Building Permit Application (This form is for demolition, electrical, plumbing or mechanical permits that do not require plans. If your permit requires a plan submittal, please come to the Inspections Division in the Customer Service Center, 2nd Floor, City Hall.)
Construction Permit Application (This form is to be used for permits that require a plan submittal.)