You are here
Mayor's Youth Council
The mission of the Mayor’s Youth Council is to explore and communicate the needs, problems, and issues affecting youth in the City of Lynchburg regardless of race, gender, or socio-economic level.
- To investigate needs, problems, and issues affecting youth.
- To provide a forum through which youth may express ideas, needs, and suggestions.
- To make recommendations for and assist in, studies/surveys regarding youth services.
- To serve as a liaison to the Mayor, City Council, City Administration, and the City’s youth.
- Be a high school student in grades 9 through 11. (Seniors must have been a member of council the preceding year.)
- Have an interest in representing youth and in developing leadership qualities.
- Be able to attend a day retreat, monthly meetings, and various scheduled activities throughout the year.
- Have parental awareness, consent, and support.
- Attend at least one City Council meeting during the year as well as attend the State of the City Address.
- Promote the Mayor’s Youth Council in schools and community.
- Work to raise the consciousness of youth issues in the Lynchburg community.
- Participate in youth awareness and fundraising activities.
To apply for the Mayor's Youth Council, please download and print the APPLICATION and return by fax or mail to:Youth and Prevention Services
99 Ninth Street
Lynchburg, VA 24504