You are here
Major Achievements Since Department Formation
On July 1, 2000, all fleet authority transferred to the Fleet Services Department. Several major construction projects, programs, and other enhancements were needed in preparation for this major change, including the following:
- A new 18,000 square foot central City maintenance facility opened in March 2001.
- Complete renovation of the Sanitation Maintenance Garage in October 2001.
- A new central City Fuel Site opened in March 2000.
- A new fuel site at the Bus Maintenance Garage opened in December 1999.
- Technician staff certification became a requirement for employment. In May 2000, Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) awarded their Blue Seal of Approval designation to the Memorial Avenue Maintenance Garage. The six technicians and Shop Superintendent possess a total of 74 ASE certifications. Professional certification goes beyond the shop area as the Assistant Director is a Certified Automotive Fleet Manager and the Administrative Services Coordinator is a Certified Equipment Manager.
- A new fleet management information system was installed to capture all fleet information such as maintenance, fuel, acquisition cost, etc. The software (known as FASTER) is furnished by CCG. The system went live in October 1999.
- A fully automated fuel management system was installed at the new fuel sites that allows customers to activate the system via a special key (Prokee). Once personal and vehicle identification information is entered into the system, the dispenser is activated allowing the customer to obtain fuel. The dispensers are Gasboy and the fuel software system is called FuelMaster.
- An internal service fund has been established that allows Fleet Services to mirror the private sector with respect to accounting, billing, and benchmarking. The operating budget is broken down into cost centers (Activity Based Accounting) and billing is based on a fully burdened labor rate supplemented by markups for parts, fuel and contractual services.
- A new large truck wash opened in December 2009.
- The average age of the fleet is 69 months.