You are here
Dearington Neighborhood Center Updates
Public Meeting Dearington Neighborhood and Jefferson Park Center Updates
On Thursday April 25, 2019 6:00 p.m.-7:30 p.m., City of Lynchburg conducted a public meeting to discuss plans for the Jefferson Park Neighborhood Center Facility Renewal Project. The meeting took place at Jefferson Park Center, 405 York Street. Representatives from City of Lynchburg and Virginia A&E presented the planned facility improvements, discussed the project timeline, and identified alternate service locations. City staff gathered community input regarding future center programming and lead an exercise to guide City investment in the neighborhood.
This Facility Renewal Project is planned to begin after June 1, 2019. During the improvement project, the Jefferson Park Center will be closed. For more information about the facility improvements, please contact Charles Youell, Construction Coordinator, at (434) 455-5858 or Charles.Youell@lynchburgva.gov; or Charlotte Lester, Neighborhood Centers Coordinator, at (434) 455-5857 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click on the photo above for a PDF of the Powerpoint presentation
Below are before photos of the Jefferson Community Center before renovations began.
Public Comments from the April 25 public meeting:
What I Love about Jefferson Park and Center:
- I love the fact that the center provides a safe place for the children in the community to play, learn, and do after-school activities.
- Jefferson Center allows for community events and family activities as well (i.e. birthday parties and family reunions).
- Consistent operation of the Center over the years. I was a part of the Center as a child and it served my son. Thank you!
- Availability of Boys and Girls Club
- Jefferson Park was very good in helping me and my spouse to make Dearington family. God’s Blessings.
- My children will be glad to see their home opening up.
- Jefferson park is a historic place of Dearington. I have been a product of Jefferson Park since I was five years old!
- Friends and family at the Center
Dearington Neighborhood Stakeholders:
- Business Owners
- Dearington Elementary School for Innovation
- Centra Health
- Vivian Camm, Neighborhood Leader
- Mary Payne, Neighborhood Leader
- Children – “Thank you for letting us in!!!!”
- Community Access Network
- Dearington Baptist Church
- Residents – Past and Present
Programs I want at the Jefferson Park Center:
- Water, Pool Table, Piano
- Skate house
- Afterschool Programs
- Food Area
- For Free
- Community Health
- After-school, homework, project area with consumable materials for students to utilize – pencils, markers, scissors, STEM materials
- Love the computer stations, printer? Will internet be available? How will it be manned?
- Classes for Health Professionals – CNA and Employment Classes
- College exposure for teens
- Merry –go-round, flowers
- Parenting classes
- Volunteer opportunities for parents to support youth programs
- Education, health, finance, parenting, arts and crafts, exercise, after school, summer camp, rentals
- Home ownership classes
- Immunizations and physicals
- Job Fair
- School –parent conferences held at center
- A doll house
- Arts and crafts
- Push button sinks, higher toilets, pool table with windows, ping pong tables, obstacle course, contact for centers/rentals, outdoor