You are here
The 16th Annual Citizens Academy begins Thursday, March 7, 2019.
Registration is now closed.
The City of Lynchburg has made it easy for citizens to be better informed and more involved in the day to day business and operation of our government. Our City Council often refers to citizens and their neighborhoods as the backbone of our community. This involvement is vital for us to maintain a healthy community that continues to meet the needs of its citizens. In our effort to solicit even more citizen participation, we offer the Citizens Academy.
Citizens Academy is designed to give participants an insight into the operation of the various departments of the government. The goal of the academy is to have better informed citizens who will bring their specialized knowledge of how city government works back to their respective neighborhoods.
A series of twelve (12) weekly informational sessions are presented each Thursday evening, 6:30 p.m. - 9:00 p.m., at various government locations around the city with an optional Saturday tour scheduled as well. The sessions are lead by City department representatives and often present a hands-on approach to learning about specific services provided by the City. Participants are encouraged to attend all 12 sessions but miss no more than three sessions.
Citizens Academy sessions include the following departments and offices (subject to change):
- Mayor & Vice Mayor, City Manager, City Attorney, Human Resources
- Financial Services & Assessor’s Office
- Lynchburg Fire Department
- Lynchburg Police Department
- Public Works: Buildings and Grounds, Streets, Engineering, Refuse Collection
- Water Resources: Water, Wastewater and Stormwater
- Parks and Recreation & Lynchburg Public Library
- Economic Development and Tourism, Community Development & Parking Management
- Human Services: Social Services & Juvenile Services
- Lynchburg City Schools
- Constitutional Offices: Commissioner of the Revenue, Circuit Court Clerk, Commonwealth’s Attorney, Sheriff's Office
- Communications & Marketing, Clerk of Council
- Optional Saturday Tour: Lynchburg Museum, GLTC, Emergency Services, Regional Jail, Fleet Services