You are here
Become a Lynchburg Firefighter
We're glad you checked in to see what it takes to join our team of highly qualified firefighters. Below is a summary of the City's hiring process in regard to becoming a Lynchburg firefighter.
APPLICATIONS ARE NOW BEING ACCEPTED from August 2 - 18, 2019. There will be a sign on bonus for this round of applications: EMS certification is not required. The bonus will be offered to successful applicants who possess either an EMT-I or EMT-P Certification upon successful completion of the Recruit Academy and Medical Director approval. Applicants must be able to obtain Virginia certification through legal recognition or reciprocity.
To apply, click on this application link — Jobs.
- Be 21 years of age by the date of the offer of employment
- High school graduate (or GED)
- High moral standards
- 20/20 corrected vision
- Valid Virginia Driver's License
- Acceptable DMV, Physical, Mental Health, and extensive background check
- EMT-Basic, EMT-Paramedic preferred, but not required
Salary and Benefits
The Hiring Process
- Written application
- Written exam (study resources available here)
- Completion of a personal history statement.
- Oral interview board (five member panel)
- Extensive background check, including DMV and criminal history
- Conditional job offer
- A medical/clinical evaluation
- A psychological evaluation
- Hired as a Recruit Firefighter
- Begin recruit academy
New employees of the Lynchburg Fire Department must complete a 22-week recruit academy. Successful completion of the following is required:
- Virginia Department of Fire Programs Firefighter I and II
- Hazardous Materials Operations
- HTR Module II and Vehicle Rescue
- EMT-Basic training and certification
Below are links to several of the Recruit Academy graduation videos that provide a look at the Recruit Academy journey!
|2019 graduation video|
|2018 Graduation video|
For more information, contact:
(434) 455-HIRE (4473)