WHAT’S BEING DONE?
We are replacing old and undersized water mains with 8" and 12" mains to provide better fire protection to Dunbar Middle School and other businesses and residences along 12th and 11th
Streets. This will include new service lines and meter boxes to each property in the work area. We are also replacing storm drain inlets and sewer manholes at various locations, and we will install a new sewer line on 12th Street between Floyd and Taylor.
HOW LONG WILL IT LAST?
From January - September 2020
HOW WILL IT AFFECT MY NEIGHBORHOOD?
• Side streets may be closed to traffic during construction but you will have access to your driveway at all times. Street parking may not be available during construction.
• If a planned temporary water service shut-off is necessary, you will be notified 24 hours in advance with a door hanger on your front door. Service interruptions will be minimal.
• If you experience discolored water, run cold water taps for 3-5 minutes until water clears. If the water does not clear, contact Lynchburg Water Resources at (434) 455-4250.
• Garbage pickup should not be affected.
• Emergency vehicles will have access at all times.
• Work taking place within the Federal Hill Historic District will replace existing material: sidewalks, curbing, brick, flagstone, etc.
HOW WILL IT AFFECT 12TH STREET?
• Beginning in the spring of 2020 for approximately four months, the northbound lane of 12th Street (headed toward downtown Lynchburg) will be closed to traffic. Detour signs will direct motorists from Park Avenue to Fifth Street to Church Street to 12th Street.
• The southbound lane of 12th Street (headed toward Kemper Street) will remain open.
• We will hold a neighborhood meeting in early 2020 to answer questions and gather community input. We will send out notifications once that meeting has been set.